Monday 11 October 2010

Christian Tradishuns... the Bible Cover

The dictionary defines 'tradition' as the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs, information, ways of thinking, practices etc., from generation to generation.

The Catholic Church defines tradition as "revealed truths apart from those contained in the Bible"... established by Church practice over time, they are the living 'magisterium' (teaching authority); truth, communicated to the church through the apostles, of whom the Pope is the direct spiritual descendent.

A simpler definition, provided by an anonymous contributor to a Christian Discussion forum, is that it's 'man-made claptrap'...

... a bit like Bible Covers.

... no, don't smirk... they're very popular... so much so that one Internet stockist has nearly 1000 on offer. With such holy-bling classics as the Western Embellished Bible Cover, Black and Tan, Extra Large going for nearly 60 quid... who can blame them?

The question remains, however; what on earth are they for?

Are they merely decorative? Perhaps... or perhaps not... is the Bible Cover - Medium Screen-printed Pink/Green Joy really cool... I didn't think so. 

Or fun? Well, I like Veggie tales, particularly the hairbrush song... but I can't help but think that carrying the word of God in the Veggie Bob Plush Bible Cover, Medium could only be considered 'fun' by the most terminally Christianised...

Or is their purpose more practical... I've often been told off for using my bible as an impromptu coaster... Now, I can use a Reversible Pink/Brown Medium cover, and just flip it around to hide the unfortunate coffee stain.

Perhaps they serve a more disciplinary purpose - Beware the reactionary missional marginal toting a Revolution Bible Cover, Blue... and don't mess with anyone carrying a JC Ichthus Embossed Handbag Style Bible Cover, Blue, Large.


Or is it simply a question of user ergonomics. After all... you wouldn't want to actually hold your bible would you? Nearly all of the covers have at least one handle. The Carry-All Bible Cover, Love has two. The Wordkeeper ® Ballistic Briefcase Bible Cover and Canvas Expedition Bible Cover with Shoulder Strap, Large actually have three... although one is a shoulder strap, presumably for when you're on an expedition and need both hands free to give out tracts and machete the locals... 

Out for a night on the town... under cover... spiritual subversive that you are... ? try dancing around the  Venti Tote Purple Spirals Large Bible Cover.

Maybe they are simply encouraging... Are you finding the content of the book itself a bit banal... do you need to add a certain je ne sais quoi? If the news that "God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” is not enough for you... then add that all important emotional hook with a Duo-Tone Footprints Bible Cover, Medium.

Ultimately... I think they are personality flags... what cover you choose calls on the particular internal culture of church to tell people what kind of Christian you are... or would like to be...

I don't usually bring a bible... there are about 100 in a stack at the back of our Church... and they all say the same thing, except some of the old ones say it with a lisp...

If I do bring one... then it's probably stuffed at the bottom of a changing bag, next to the spare nappies...

... what does that say about me?

5 comments:

  1. I am so out of touch! My is in a popped clip leather affair that only covers the cover and doesn't even have a handle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given that most of the 100 are covered in wee and vomit friendly plastic covers, maybe this says you either have a little baby in the vicinity or you've been on the lash pre-church service!



    Not bringing a bible to church is an interesting signal.



    Does it say "I'm so holy I know it off by heart!"



    Does it say "face it people, I can't be arsed"



    Or does it say "look, I'm here, I'm on time, I'm in clean clothes, I even remembered the baby, I have a church bible, and despite the apparent lack of right wing holiness, I'm born again and in Christ...



    ...would you like to share my church bible?!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine only has the cover it came with.

    Black, thin leather, with micro marbley etching you can barely see. Class. Ic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Nick... does your heart yearn for a 'Lighthouse, 1 Corinthians 16:13, Midnight Blue, Medium' or perhaps a 'Soldier of the Cross, Bible Cover, Camo, Extra Large'... ?

    @ Pop... if only they made baby covers I'd be fine... the 'Princess Colorwash Bible Cover with Four Washable Markers' particularly appeals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think there is a gap in the market for stealth Bible covers. Covers that make the Bible look like another book for the more discerning (embarrassed) reader. Off the top of my head I can think off - The Harry Potter cover, The God delusion, and anything by Dan Brown.

    ReplyDelete