Thursday 16 June 2011

What do I do now?

When I was growing up, I remember being told that - when in a pickle - we could ask Jesus what to do. We could ask him, based on the fact that he had been a human and so had 'experienced everything that we could experience'.

At the time I must have nodded and thought 'yup'.

However, as I've got older, I've wondered how much wisdom there really is in telling people things like that. 

Setting aside all the trappings of modern life, Jesus still didn't know lots of situations. 

He was never married for example.

He never had children. Was never a father. He never failed to have children when he wanted some. Or wished he'd not had them when he had. 


He was never a woman. He was never pregnant. He was never a mother. 

He was never terminally ill.

Actually, when you think about it, the only person who really has a chance of Jesus knowing what they're experiencing, based on that logic, is a single Jewish carpenter under 30, living somewhere in occupied land, destined to save the world by giving up their life.

I don't know how many people that applies to.

Why are we told these things?

1 comment:

  1. It's probably something to do with Him being Da Word ("you ain't heard, it's my decision that your vision is blurred, so come on rap fans, clap your hands, take a stand for the man, it's time to jam aaaaaaaah").

    Everything being created by him and for him.

    But I dunno really, I'm just a simple northern lad

    ReplyDelete